View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
Colleens_Husband

Nice story Marie! It is amazing how little flaws can annoy you at first but later on become endearing.

It used to bother me going into hospitals. I never went into hospitals unless something dire happened to me.

A couple of days ago, Colleen went in for Herceptin and she said she started looking at the people in the fancier private room infusion areas. The hospital reserves these for the new patients and their first chemo infusion. Colleen said she always avoided looking into them because she knew those people were in for a hard time. She told me she looked into one of the newbie suites the other day and said hello to a young women receiving her first infusion. She told her that she can do this and she is stronger than she thinks she is. I was happy to see that Colleen has gotten past the 'chemotherapy is fearful and awful' stage and is now operating on the 'chemotherapy is a Godsend and it will save your life' stage.

Anyways, when Colleen told me this story, I actually had a fond memory of sitting next to Colleen and holding her hand while she was getting the infusion. It was a neat time. We could talk without phone interruptions or the children bothering us. I always bought her some small gift for each infusion. At the time I was hating being in the hospital. It is odd that I now have fond memories of that time.

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008
life is still on hold
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote