View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
ammebarb

Checking in, after a loooong absence.

I think of many of you often. I've been absent for a long time, while I try to get my feet back under me following my choroidal melanoma. As you know, I had plaque radiation therapy at Wills Eye in Philadelphia. I tested genetically as high risk, so I did six months of oral chemo, called Sutent. A pill a day for six months. Sounded easier to me than the iv therapy I received 31 years ago for my breast cancer. I tolerated fairly well, but by the end, it whooped me "pretty good"! It will be a year at the end of December since I have completed that therapy. I also had a laser pan retinal photocoagulation and continue to get Avastin shots directly into the OM eye. The good news is that so far, no evidence of mets and I've graduated to six month mri of liver and yearly ct of lungs. Labs every six months too. My vision was expected to go at 18 months post plaque, but it was 20/50 yesterday!

I first wrote to the group when my only sibling, my sis, was diagnosed with HER2 positive bc. It has been five years for her and thankfully, she is doing well. Just wanted to tell you all again that I'll always be grateful for the warm and welcoming reception I received, both for her and for me (despite my latest cancer not being breast).

I think of you often and keep you in my prayers.

Barb A.
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote