View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 06:13 AM   #6
Annlyn

Brain, memory function has improved since starting Herception

I have Herceptin in response to secondaries but am ER- and PR-.
I had chemo brain for many months after both my first and second chemo courses however all of my thinking faculties (and physical for that matter) have improved since I have been on Herceptin alone. I had Herceptin weekly from November 2001 till August 2005 (minus a few weeks holidays each year) and since then have had it 3 weekly.
I have continual low grade mucositis, get cranky the night after the infusion and can count on at least one sleepless night in the few days after treatment.
I also am on 3 weekly Aredia and for some reason (perhaps the hydration) do not get as cranky if I have Aredia first and then the Herceptin. I take paracetamol with the Herceptin and again 5 hours later which helps me sleep that first night. I definately used to get depressed for a few days after treatment especially when it was weekly - so therefore I was depressed a lot of the time!!! It took me a long time to recognise it but I now believe I am on top of it. I plan a full day of activity for day 2, whereas I used to just think poor me and head to bed. I also get lots of exercise - dance about 5-6 hours per week, 1/2 hour at the gym 2-3 times per week and take a couple of longish walks per week. I try to eat good food but I would be lying if I said I stick to a good diet!!!! Very few people who have met me in the last couple of years realise I had BC. It's not that I hide it it's just that I am now so well that the topic doesn't usually arise unless it applies to someone else.
This may sound silly but I actually think that it is the Herceptin plus the dance that has set me on the path to recovery. I did not learn to dance as a child, had always wanted to and finally took it up 3 years ago when I was very unfit and totally chemo brained!!!

Last edited by Annlyn; 07-23-2006 at 07:02 AM..
Annlyn is offline   Reply With Quote