View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
aviv

Looking for Lapatinib

Dear bcmets members,

We just learned that Gemzar doesn't work for mom's mets...
Even though liver mets are somewhat controlled, brain mets keep progressing, and it has come to a situation where it's impossible for her to continue tolerate the headaches, without heavy amounts of steriods.
Basically, after we stopped Herceptin, nothing has been really helpfull. CA markers are rising rapidly... 3 weeks ago ca153 was at ~500, and two days ago we got result of 1066.
We're so worried.

Many pointed me to Tykerb / Lapatinib.
There have been a number of success stories around it- But since it's not registered yet, there's no way to get it / buy it, other than in a clinical trial.

We're based in Israel, and for mom's indication, there's only 1 valid tiral protocol. She may fit to this trial, but she has to (according to the trial protocol) have used Taxotere sometime in the past- and since she had never received Taxotere, getting it now is a pre-requisit for participating in that trial. The problem is that our onc is afraid that Taxotere might be too toxic, too toxic for mom to handle. so we're in a huge dilema... on one hand, there's nothing really helpfull to offer- on the other hand, if we want to get Lapatinib, mom has to take at least 4 cycles of Taxotere.

I tried talking to GSK, in order to buy the drug- the doctors there were very nice, but said there isn't really any way to get Lapatinib other than enrolling to that trial.

I'm really desperate. I know it's not common, but I wanted to ask the people on the list- Does anyone have any leftovers of Lapatinib, something she doesn't need anymore for whatever reason, that can be sent over to us? I would really appreciate if you can let me know.

Many thanks in advance, Aviv.
aviv is offline   Reply With Quote