View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Becky

Re: Vitamin D Test Results

Vicky

A dexa is the bone density test to see if you are osteopenic (pre-osteoporesis) or if you have osteoporesis.

Rich - I can take up to that amount too but have not been able to get my levels up beyond 50. I think this could be part of my family's bc problem - perhaps a conversion deficiency. Just to explain that to those who don't know, the D3 that you take in or make in your skin when it is exposed to sunlight is converted in the liver to an intermediate form (another chemical) and then that chemical is converted in the kidneys to the useable form of the vitamin (which at this point is theoretically a hormone). You never know!

My mom's birthday was yesterday and she told me that again she is having low D issues. Her doctor upped her to 1000iu but she said she is also sunning herself 45-60 minutes a day in 15-20 minute stints. I discussed this with her and that she needs bigger supplemental doses like I do. For her, 1000iu is just not enough.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote