View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
Laurel

Re: CHRISTINE ~ New Issue ~ Please Input

Danielle,

My mother lost a great deal of weight after her stroke and remained quite thin until I began taking care of her and Dad 2 years ago. She has gained nicely. Because she has dental issues and some swallowing difficulties I have learned to finely chop her food. She also LOVES Boost, sold in groceries in several flavors. Mom loves it very cold & in the vanilla flavor. They have a very high protein version that she finds just delicious. Sometimes I throw a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the blender along with a Boost. It makes up like a milkshake.

I think at some point you have to feed them what they enjoy. Like most older folks that means mashed potatoes and sweets! Honestly, mom is worse than a kid. That's how we get her to take her meds. She can have her treat after she takes her pills! Bring her foods she enjoys and do not be surprised if items she once loved have been replaced by things she was never that fond of. Taste buds change it seems. If she enjoys eating, feed her whatever she wants. Her life is short and when you are old (or in my case, middle-aged!) food is something you look forward to!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote