View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
Shad

Hi Kriss,
Have you been tested for the BRACA gene? Do you have any pre-existing ovarian or uterine pathology (eg. fibroids)?
That being said/asked, my experience is that there is no set answer regarding removal of ovaries and uterus for us. My onc said that, for me, I had no increased risk of ovarian cancer over other non-BC women (risk was around 1 in 100). So, it came down to this: was I willing to be the 1 in 100 that got ovarian cancer? It sounds like your risk is probably greater, considering your family history.
FWIW, my advice is: take your time to make this decision. You have gone through a lot recently, and the choice to have surgery does not need to be made right away. Any surgery we have can knock us back for some time, and your strength reserves have been tapped a lot lately. I had an abdominal oophrectomy and hysterectomy one year after being diagnosed with BC (large uterine fibroids). The surgery was easy and recovery was MUCH easier than I anticipated.
Good luck on your choices.
Shad
4 rounds of A/C, 1 year of Herceptin.
1/07 Started on Femara - severe lethargy
4/07 Switiched to Arimidex - doing OK
5/07 DIEP free flap reconstruction with tummy tuck!
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote