View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
Lani

theoretically herceptin+tykerb should be a good combination

As one attacks her2 from the outside and one from the inside of the cell.

Resistance develops via ER pathways(they think)--something you don't have to worry about--and by upregulation of her3 according to the current thinking from this conference and my recent reading

In a perfect world, you could get your original tumor's her family studied

ie, her2,3,4 and EGFR and use that to convince yourself whether to try a trial of pertuzumab (if you were her3 positive) or tykerb plus herceptin (if you were not) THis is just theoretical, from someone without expertise, I will have you know.(that is not to say that the her 3 couldn't have popped up as resistance to tykerb/herceptin occured in your mets)

The report from this conference is that in the clinical trials so far with tykerb plus herceptin they have not heard of any reports of additional toxicity from adding the two together. There does not seem to be a marker for VEGF EFFICACY that they have discovered so far, but that is something else they could add at some point.

It can cause bleeding and hypertension and a talk at the conference showed that when you stop Avastin there can be an accelerated regrowth if blood vessels (at least in mice)

One of the most interesting speakers I have heard on new her2 specific treatment combinations for Stage IVs is Jenny Chang of Baylor (heard her speak at San Antonion last year) She unfortunately wasn't on the program at the conference this past weekend.

I will try to keep you informed of the latest and greatest as I hear about them. Hold your breath for San Antonio and ASCO and hope.

Couldn't hurt to get out into that great Southern California sunshine and get some vitamin D (don't overdo the tan) and mellow out!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote