View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Lani

questions

Have you had serum her2 levels tested/followed? Where are you being treated?

I just attended the American Association of Cancer Researchers' Advances in Breast Cancer conference in San Diego this past Thursday-Saturday and the new drugs being discussed besides Ixabepilone were those in clinical trials like 17AAG (a heat shock protein inhibitor), TGF beta inhibitors (far from availability), mTor inhibitors, the new herceptin-drug combination, and pertuzumab. Clinical trials are ongoing and since you are from LALA land there are at least two major cancer centers nearby to ask for a second opinion or to inquire about clinical trials (if you are not already being treated there): UCLA and City of Hope.

At the meeting I heard the results of the Osborne/Schiff study -- Dr. Osborne of Baylor presented the results (in mice) of combining Iressa, pertuzumab and herceptin and "curing" the mice without recurrences
even for long stretches of time after treatment--very encouraging and without even requiring the antihormonal (though he said he was not sure why, except that the cure happened so quickly in those it worked on that there didn't seem to be enough time to develop resistance by switchiing to the ER pathway)

He did say that there was one strain of BT474 of two he used to implant which did not respond quickly and was not cured, even when he added an antihormonal and thought that the strain of BT474 used by Dr. Spector in his studies of tykerb resistance unless ER pathway is blocked was a different BT474 strain altogether.

Just as there are different cancer cell lines strains, there are different her2 + cancers even within the er- and er+ groups (I see you are er-) At the meeting they seemed to think the ER+s were especially complicated because, althought there are more possible treatments, there are more possible pathways through which to develop resistance,.

There are drugs which are already available for other diseases like PPAR inhibitors (used for diabetes) and bortezomid(used for multiple myeloma)
so things are progressing along...

It can never be fast enough!

Hope some of this helped!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote