View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #9
StephN

Wink Herceptin has great benefit

Some of you have read my posts before on this subject. I say take the Herceptin as it could save you a lot of trouble down the road.
Some of you are a couple of years out from initial treatment and are still not feeling confident that your disease is under control. And with good reason - this cancer is VERY SNEAKY!
I was feeling GREAT just three months after finishing my adjuvent chemos and radiation. Little did I suspect that the disease was going rampant in my liver. This was at the end of 2001 and before I could get my insurance to pay for herceptin. But come Jan. 2002 I was on Herceptin with Taxol and Navelbine. All this worked for me but I am one of only a FEW. Most of the other women in my clinical trial of that time are no longer with us. Her2 positive mets are normally classed as "hard-to-treat" and if you can give yourself a higher chance of NO disease progression - do not hesitate.

You gals who are newer to this disease see many posts here from women who are constantly changing chemos and combos to get their mets to subside. It is not a pleasant battle and the vast majority (if any) of us never had the opportunity to have the adjuvent Herceptin.

So, go ahead - help write a new chapter and new stats for survival. Remember that many of the stats that are quoted are OLD and from patients who were worse off than you are. If you are healthy, your heart should not be affected. I am 56 and taking Herceptin for 4 years now. My heart and general physical condition was harmed much more from all the chemos I took than Herceptin.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote