View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
astrid

I had my estrogen levels rechecked last week and on Tuesday I was randomized in the SOFT trial for hormone therapy. The SOFT trial is Suppression of Ovarian Function Trial (SOFT). The SOFT trial has three arms. One is Tamoxifen alone (which is the standard treatment used today for pre menopausal women and the treatment course I am currently on); the second is Tamoxifen plus ovarian suppression and the last is an experimental arm with a post menopausal drug called Exemestane plus ovarian suppression. The ovarian suppression can be done by surgery, radiation or a monthly shot of Triptorelin. For pre menopausal women with estrogen positive breast cancer, it is important to stop the estrogen. The estrogen in pre menopausal women is produced by the ovaries so shutting them down may be the right course of action. This trial is designed to test if the more aggressive approach will prevent reoccurrences and survival rates. The arm I was randomized to is Tamoxifen alone. I am not sure that is the best course of action, but I signed up for the clinical trial and some one has to be on that arm. I left it up the lords hands and this is the arm I received, so maybe I really don’t need to have my ovaries suppressed. I guess my concern is that Tamoxifen is supposed to shut down estrogen and when my levels were checked they were high. My level was 155. Since I am not getting a period it is hard to say what phase I am in. Normal Estrogen levels are:

Follic Phase (The first half of the menstrual cycle): 27-161
Periovulatory (Ovulation): +/-3 days: 187-382
Luteal Phase (The second half of the menstrual cycle): 33-201

This trial is a 5 year trial. I will have my estrogen levels checked periodically and I can drop from the study at any time if I want to be more aggressive with my treatment. Right now the quality of my life is very good on Tamoxifen alone and if I was one another arm of the trail, I may have to suffer unnecessary side effects.