Thread: Chemo And Hair
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Becky

Re: Chemo And Hair

I had long hair and was very afraid to get it cut into a shorter style so before I even had my first chemo, I got some short hairstyle magazines and picked a look. I went to my hair dresser and had it cut. She didn't know I had cancer (yet) so it was a fun party in there. And it looked very good even though later (when the hair came back) I went with a different style. Even though my profile picture doesn't show it, my hair is long again and I am going to get it cut off. After all - even I know what I look like in a super short pixie so I am not afraid to change my hairdo anymore.

Also, I went to a look good, feel better class given by the American Cancer Society the day of my second chemo. My hair was just starting to come out. The girls that gave the class had a beauty shop and told me to come down and they would shave me and trim my new wig (if needed). After I was shaved, a young girl (maybe 15 or so) got in the chair next to mine for a haircut. She looked at me with wide eyes. I told her to be careful because "they take off alittle too much" here. Haha. Everyone laughed so hard. The manicurist in that shop was a 27 year survivor. She only had one boob that day because she went to Atlantic City with her girlfriends for the weekend and lost her fake one somewhere and was waiting for the new one to come in. These experiences and people were precious to me.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote