View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
Becky

Re: Walter Reed Vaccine trial

I think one of the reasons that you need to be close to when treatment ended is that there can be reminants of cancer or dead cancer remaining for the dendrites to find (dendrites are what "finds" the "invader") so they can rush to the lymph nodes and get the immune response started.

For the record, this is why I took Leukine as my white blood cell booster over Neulasta during chemo (87 doses to be exact). One criteria for that is that there were lymph nodes remaining on the cancer side (I had 10 removed so there were plenty left). My rationale was that by taking the Leukine, I was, in effect, hopefully self vaccinating.

I am still here over 5 years out so who knows. I did Leukine because at the time, Herceptin wasn't available in the adjuvant setting and I was node positive and I thought it would give me the best shot considering there was no Herceptin yet.

Oddly, right after chemo ended, Herceptin was available so I did take that solo (without chemo).

In the end, one never really knows what part of treatment works - was it just the surgery alone, chemo, rads, Herceptin, Leukine?

Just wanted to share that I've had my share of Leukine too. If you have any questions on it, I do know all about it - how it works and the side effects.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote