View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Clinical trial

Interesting. I have had bc and am in a clinical trial in the U.S. for monitoring for ovarian cancer. I copied the risk factors from the report and put a star by the ones that do apply to me. For the clinical trial I am in, I receive an annual transvaginal ultrasound and quarterly CA-125's. I have participated for 3 years and am about to have the 3rd TVUS with this quarter's CA-125 and this is the last time they will test me for it. I have no signs or symptoms and good test results so far. I am a decade away from being 65 so I know my risk is only beginning.

-AlaskaAngel

KNOW YOUR RISK

YOU may be at a slightly higher risk if:

*You have close relatives who have had ovarian cancer. This could mean you carry the genes for the disease. If concerned, discuss a genetic test with your GP.

*You've had breast cancer, or have two close relatives who've had it under 60.

You're over 65. According to Cancer Research
UK, most ovarian cancers occur in women after the menopause, and half are in women aged over 65.

*You've never had children or had your first baby after 30. Studies suggest having babies younger has a protective effect although doctors are not sure why.

*You started your periods early and had a late menopause. Scientists think the more menstrual cycles, the higher your risk.

You've had prolonged fertility treatment. Doctors are uncertain whether this is because of the drugs themselves, or because of infertility.

You use talcum powder between your legs. Some studies suggest this could raise your risk but the jury's out.

AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote