View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 05:11 AM   #23
Kaye

I was on weekly Herceptin for one year. After my initial treatment (loading dose), which I had at same time as Taxol, I don't believe I had any symptoms from Herceptin. I did not need to take any pre-medication with it. I also asked if I could receive it over an hour, and the nurses usually did that. I was able to rest and relax during that time. I received it "early stage." I started with it almost 4.5 years ago.
While I was on it I developed 3 attacks of acute pancreatitis--each 13 days apart. However, this was after I had been on it 6 months and also occurred about 7 or 8 weeks after I started an AI (aromatase inhibitor)--Arimidex. I think, if anything, the pancreatitis may have been related to the Arimidex. However, a private radiologist thought the pancreatitis may have been related to having many enlarged retroperitoneal nodes which I had since time of diagnosis.
Also, one week week after the last of the above pancreatitis attacks, all blood levels were normal. About a week later I developed severe fatigue and weakness (including muscle weakness in legs and eyes). New blood tests showed that I was hypothyroid but my testosterone level was very high as well as AST. I was put on thyroid medication and level returned to normal with about 2 to 3 weeks.
Because of the high Testosterone level it was suggested I have a test to see where that was coming from or have ovaries surgically removed. At this same time I developed a severe burning pain in the pelvic region. (This burning pain was similar to the same burning pain I experienced at the time of my breast cancer diagnosis, a year and a half earlier, that had occurred 10 days before I noticed a change in my nipple). I consulted with an gynocological oncologist and decided upon a complete abdominal hysterectomy with Salpingo-oopherectomy. (The testosterone level had been double normal but when re-tested went up to 6 times normal, although that may have been a lab error).
I had the hysterectomy one week after my last Herceptin treatment. (Interestingly, at my pre-op appt. for the hysterectomy I had a pap smear done. The results of that pap smear showed abnormal cells. It was the first time I ever had an abnormal pap smear).
Although I was told that I was "early stage," I think I was at a more advanced level. My oncologist had allowed me to have it out-of-protocol because, as he indicated in a report, my case seemed to meet special considerations. I don't think I was out-of-protocol. I strongly believe that I was stage IV at time of dx. and the private dr's whom we consulted with for 2nd opinions hinted at the same.
What I did notice was that my alkaline phosphatase level which had been slowly increasing made its most significant jump 3 mos. after I stopped the Herceptin and was only 6 pts above normal. My oncologist then allowed "prophylactic" Zometa at half dose every 3 mos. along with Doxycycyline and Celebrex. The alkaline phosphatase level stabilized and then slowly returned to what it had been at time of dx. which was half that level.
Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote