View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 07:10 AM   #6
Hopeful

Lani, thanks for articulating

my point of view to a "T." MORE is not always = BETTER. I am participating in the study on partial breast irradiation, though, unfortunately, I was randomized to the whole breast irradiation arm of the study, as I feel that testing definitely needs to be done on reducing the amount of toxic treatment patients recieve. There were several news stories out just a few months ago, reporting about how the side effects of chemotherapy are under rated, and how many patients on it wind up in the emergency room for both reasons directly related to their treatment AND for other problems in general, much more than the general population. Not enough is known about the long term effects of these drugs, because, up until now, patients who took them never lived long enough for anyone to find out. This article you have posted directly contradicts the standard dogma I have read that "the brain is not effected by chemotherapy because the cells divide too slowly." The decision to use chemotherapy in early stage bc is a personal choice, but, at the very least, everyone should receive complete and accurate information regarding ALL potential side effects, to be able to make a fully informed choice.

Here is a link to a story from earlier this week that has more positive, but still disturbing, information on chemobrain: http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20061127...rainareasstudy

Hopeful

Last edited by Hopeful; 11-30-2006 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: add link
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote