View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #27
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: The power of words

Yes, I like to read the report, as a layperson but as a person deeply concerned about the person whose report I am reading. I underline certain words and google. Then if I have further questions, they go on a list for me to ask the doc specifically.

By having copies of all reports I can see how my blood trends. I typically had all good blood at a certain point, but for my BUN and my triglycerides. I would ask what I can do to fix that. I yearn to be within normal range on everything!

For BUN they'd tell me to drink more. Well, I drink 10 glasses of water a day. So that's silly. I tell them and they don't have an answer. For triglycerides which keep coming up high for a decade, they really don't know what causes that. I have googled that and they really really don't know.

However, I started taking Coleus Forskohlii about 3 yrs ago, suggested by Dr. Oz for weight loss. I googled and it's been around for maybe 25 yrs. It's good for a wide array of reasons.
Since I've been on this supplement, I've noted that my triglycerides are suddenly totally normal!!

Juls, I also noted from CT scans (chest/abd/pelv) that I have a kidney stone sitting in one kidney along with some cysts. At first I was concerned about the stone cause I passed one in 1981 and never had one again. But I never ever ever want to have another!! It took me 10 wks to pass that stone the size of Texas. Refusing surgery as recommended as the only way to get it out back then. My urologist was grinning ear to ear when I handed to him. (I was told to drink, drink and drink and screen with a screener all day long. So they could retrieve the stone for analysis. I wanted to make it into a ring, I was so proud of having given birth to it.)

Apparently many if not all of us have cysts and things hanging out that w/o a CT we'd never know about. It is good to know your body. It's norms and it's oddities.

BTW, I am accustomed to same day response to my calls. Sometimes I now fax my question / reason for contacting the doc / office as they seem to be inundated with phone calls. I get faster responses that way.

And I have my doc's email which he checks all day long apparently and responds immediately to. I save those emails for what I consider emergencies, not abuse the privilege.

Sigh.

Keeping on top of your health is an art. And absolutely necessary. No one loves you more than you!!!!!!!!!
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote