View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
AlaskaAngel

Re: Ding-Dong! the anthracyclines are dead! SABCS presentation by Dr Slamon shows ant

At the time I was treated, my onc followed the path of the majority of oncs at the time in 2002 and did not tell me anything about the trials for the use of trastuzumab, even though the trastuzumab trials had accumulated enough data to be quite indicative of success. I would only have been eligible for one of those trials under the criteria, BUT I had specifically asked to participate in any such trials that were available. Although it turned out that I remain NED despite never having had trastuzumab, it could well have made a crucial difference for me.

I'm sure my onc considered his care to be conscientious, professional, and caring at the time.

What continues to be a mystery to me is the ethical dilemma of how it will ever be possible to transition to regimens that do not include chemotherapy with a researcher physician mindset that openly states that the continuing practice of including chemotherapy is part of an "ideal" regimen for all HER2 patients, despite the knowledge that the vast majority who are receiving chemotherapy get ZERO benefit from it.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote