View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Chelee

Hi Steph, A while ago I requested my vitamin D level be checked after hearing about all the studies on low "D" levels. My Endo told me my vitamin D levels were good. (I took his word for it because I trusted him.) Later I requested copies of my labs only to find out my vitamin D level was "29". ARGH!!! Reference range here says under 30 is low. (So needless to say I was angry when I found out he lied to me.) I had stressed to him I wanted to be on the "high" side due to my DEXA scan results.

When I went back to his office about this he said he was going to give me a large dose of vitamin D and recheck me in 2 months. So I've been taking my normal amount of D on top of what he prescribe for me which is a weekly dose of 5000 IU's.

My last labs did show my vitamin D level is up to 36 now...but that is unacceptable to me. Plus I have since found out that all the doctors that are on TOP of things are giving this "mega" dose of 50,000 IU's as your doctor is recommending. So obviously my Endo is confused or didn't do well in basic math and can't tell the difference between 5000 or 50.000 IU's.

I've done alot of reading on taking vitamin D & I am all for taking a higher amount of vitamin D. I believe it's very important to are over all health.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote