Thread: Mushrooms
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
TanyaRD

Re: Mushrooms

Elaine,
The latest research I have seen is from 2006. I just searched pubmed and didn't find anything new.
"Mushroom extracts turned out to be effective aromatase inhibitors. Aromatase is an enzyme that helps the body make estrogen, a hormone that feeds the growth of breast tumors. Of seven vegetables tested, mushrooms had the greatest effect. Other forms of mushrooms (such as portabello, crimini, and shiitake) also were aromatase inhibitors, so one could vary the type eaten to add a little variety to the regimen."

In regards to the above quote it is important to consider that this statement has not been proven true in humans, only in laboratory data and thus cannot be readily applied to the population. Unfortunately, this article accurately points out that this research is unlikely to be performed anytime in the near future due to cost and limited ability to recoup costs of research (i.e. no drug to sell afterward). I encourage my breast cancer patients to consume exotic and white button mushrooms. I am unaware of a recommended "dose" for intake but believe they should be included as part of a well-balanced diet for prevention/prevention of recurrence of breast ca.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote