View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
trasia

Re: In vitro/vivo trial Curcumin and/or Herceptin

Jackie07:
I do know a local friend's mother who had refused to continue chemo after a couple of infusion for stage IV lung cancer. Her daughters took her to MD Anderson for a consult and she lived three more years, longer than the 6 months her local doctor had predicted.

Trasia:
We visited another oncologist yesterday – literally dragging my mother, and told her its just a diagnostic test… the oncologist told me it might be too late for chemo and/or Herceptin, as it is usually done right after surgery (am sure other oncologists will probably think – this is probably not the case).. I found another onc who told me it might still be possible to put her on Herceptin, and if my mother is concerned about finances, she can join a trial on paclitaxel+ a new study drug+ Herceptin. My question is , is it possible to use ChemoFX and test these drugs on my mother’s breast tissue samples—instead of testing it on her??
And if they can actually test this new study drug + Herceptin on humans? Why are not they doing a similar study for Curcumin in combination to Herceptin or without Herceptin?
If Dr. Slamon and his colleagues has already figured Curcumin out—and ruled it out…what do they have to do with other cancer lines (other than Her2)—yes, they have found Herceptin to inhibit overexpression of Her2, and even found biomarkers (FISH and IHC) to test if you have overexpression of Her2. How about overexpression of Matrix metalloproteses, Cyclooxygenase-2, adhesion molecouse, chemokine and TNF?? All of which causes invasion tumor metastasis.

A quote from Dr. Aggrawal of MD Anderson

Because Taxol (paclitaxel) is so toxic, it activates a protein that produces an inflammatory response that induces metastasis. Curcumin suppresses this response, making it impossible for the cancer to spread. In fact, researchers found that adding curcumin to Taxol actually enhances its effect. Curcumin breaks down the dose, making the therapy less toxic and just as powerful while delivering the same level of efficacy.

Refer to the article here:
http://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/n...s-release.html

Trasia:
Yes, the above study is only done in mice. What stops them from doing the same study on humans too? Why not use ChemoFX or Oncotype DX-- not only for drugs but also for natural substances such as Curcumin? And really, if they have already ruled this out-- why not publish the documents saying that Curcumin works for mice, but not for people.

I hope in the future we could also have biomarkers to test if we have overexpression of these cancer lines that causes metastasis… in the same way we have tests to see if we have ER/PR and HER2 overexpression.. (just thinking out loud).
I learned to hold myself with dignity, respect and humility. My mother taught me to love and care for humanity, and a compassion that I have never seen matched. She is brilliant, and more generous than any person I have ever met. I know my mother loves me more than life itself. Her latest lesson is Courage as WE seek treatment for her condition and she enter the great unknown, and faces her inner demons…And I promised her that I will be her strength when she needs it, and her patience when she cannot bear it anymore..

~trasia (primary caregiver of her 60 year old mother- IDC Stage 2B ER+ 90% PR- Her2+++ 3/25 lymph node involvement (Diagnosed Jan 2010- BMX- Feb 2010)
trasia is offline   Reply With Quote