Thread: Just for fun...
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #39
Cynthia

Reading the posts on this thread explains why this forum is so effective -- its participants are highly accomplished men and women.

I am a private practice attorney specializing in mortgage banking litigation. (We defend the banks when they get sued.) When I was 43, my incredible husband and I headed over to China to bring home our one and only child. Four months later I was diagnosed with B/C. At first I thought, "how can I get through this with a baby." But very quickly thereafter I wondered how I could have done it without her. She is an amazing child whose smile (and Shirley Temple dimples) could solve our nation's energy problems. I did all the standard stuff (bilateral mastectomy, chemo, rads), the less standard stuff (vaccine trial at Walter Reed and ovaries removed), and fought for and now receive late Herceptin. So far, so good (she says with fingers and toes firmly crossed). My daughter was only 16 months when I was diagnosed so she was never scared about any of it and we have only discussed cancer with her on the outermost margins. However, she recently told me (at 3 1/2 years), "Mommy, you used to be very sick." I was stunned of course. I asked her if I still am. She said, "Oh no Mommy, you are fine now. I came to you so you would be better and you are." Now how can I not believe in some grand plan?

The simultaneous arrival of daughter and cancer sure changed my view on what matters in life. Gone are the 6 to 7 days a week at the office that Washington, DC typically demands of its attorneys. I now work three days a week (and take off every President's Day, Columbus Day and MLK day that I would have never dreamed of taking before). I explain to my partners that I would fully understand if they want me to leave but so far they haven't taken me up on the offer (though if and when they do, that's ok -- I'll do something else). I can truly say I am a much happier person now. I even started knitting -- imagine that.

I continue to wish each of you the very best.

Cynthia
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote