View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
Becky

My story is very much like Rhonda's. I had 4 dense dose AC and 4 dense dose Taxol (last one Jan 31, 05). 6 wks later had 34 rads and after that there was the May ASCO meeting. Started Herceptin a few weeks later in June (after ECHO to confirm my heart survived Chemo). I am over 1/2 done with one year (which is all I think I will be able to get unless the 2 yr data comes out early and shows even more benefit). I had a 1.9cm tumor, grade 2, Her2(3+), ER 50%, PR negative, one node involved (2 less than 1.8mm pts of focus).

Go for the Herceptin if you can. I figure it this way (for my situation) - everything you do reduces risk of recurrence or death. I could have just removed the tumor and node and done nothing else. My percent of survival might have been only 5% - 10%. Add rads only to that and it goes up to 30% - 45%. Add dense dose chemo to that and it goes to about 70%. Add Arimidex to that and it goes to 75%. Add Herceptin to that and it goes to 88% - I prefer 88% to 75% (I prefer 100% the best and was never a gambling girl to begin with hence trying to put the best odds in my favor - I figure that sooner or later all humans crap out but I want it to be a surprise).

Herceptin is an easy drug to take, especially every 3 weeks. You might get tired for a few days, make a headache and a runny nose but its nothing like chemo because it is not chemo, it is immunotherapy or a biological drug. Don't be scared of it. It can be your friend. And you are using it as an adjuvant. It just might do the job so you never have to use it or anything else ever again.

We are all here for you no matter what so let us know how you feel and how you are doing.

Warmest regards and wishes

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote