Thread: Gaining Control
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation We Need To Look At Hormones With An Open Mind...

Yes, Pinkie, Oncs are uncomfortable w/supplements in general, as there are no courses in this in our medical schools, much to my astonishment.

Especially, my 5 oncs had reservations (excuse me, make that 4 oncs) my 5th nut onc (nutritional oncologist) knows his stuff, and assures me I am not making missteps. Still, I was slightly intimidated by the 4 who have reservations re Evening Primrose Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Black Cohosh, Isoflavones from red clover (phytoestrogen -- from plants). Gaynor/nut onc says a millionth or more of regular estrogen. I take those in particular for hot flashes, which I am a prisoner of.

But the nutritionist at the Cancer Center I go to had come to me w/my list. I provide ev one of my docs that list from GAINING CONTROL thread on this board -- alphabetical, w/dosage and reason for taking. So the nutritionist came to me alarmed about the ones I mentioned. You know if you had bc (I'm sitting in the chemo room in my recliner hooked up to my infusion!) -- you shouldn't be taking these!, she said alarmed. Well, I responded I would double check w/my nut onc, but I am aware of some studies that say that some of these are actually beneficial for bc. She made me promise to do so soon and report back to her. I did. I got the green light. However, it takes a degree of faith (in this doc and my readings) and courage to proceed anyway... We're talking about my life, after all! AND, we're talking about my QOL, which after 23 yrs has become poignantly paramount!!

There are many conflicting opinions out there re progesterone creams being necessary vs dangerous and so on. So I have read Dr. John Lee's books and am now reading Dr. Graeme Williams book on the topic of hormones -- the good and the bad and the need to BALANCE your estrogen w/low progesterone -- which can cause:
diet and exercise resistant weight gain
breast tenderness
headaches
anxiety and tearfulness/mood swings
hot flashes
insomnia
foggy thinking
reduced libido
fatigue
depression

All due to estrogen dominance that is unopposed. I can relate to most of the list! I would not take synthetic one-dose-fits-all meds but natural progesterone cream could correct these things.

To quote Williams, WE CANNOT BECOME WHAT WE NEED TO BE, BY REMAINING WHAT WE ARE.

He says this hormonal imbalance is at the root of: Heart disease, type 2 diabetes, breast and prostate cancer, obesity and headaches. It calls this hormone havoc the modern day equivalent of cigarette smoking. Its impact on society being that great.

A lot to contemplate, no?!

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote