View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
R.B.

Re: Vitamin D & Breast Cancer 50% - 70% risk reductions - authoritative must watch vi

Because of out modern life style living where the suns shine is no guarantee of adequate vitamin D levels.

93% of newborns of military in Hawaii had low vitamin D – March 2013
Vitamin D Deficiency at Birth Among Military Dependants in Hawai'i

HAWAI'I JOURNAL OF MEDICINE & PUBLIC HEALTH, MARCH 2013, VOL 72, NO 3
Eldon G. Palmer MD; Emmanuel Ramirez-Enriquez MD; Sarah M. Frioux MD; and Melissa M. Tyree MD

Vitamin D has long been known to be essential in bone mineralization as well as calcium and phosphate regulation. An increasing body ofliterature suggests that Vitamin D is also key in many other areas to include immune function, brain development, prevention of autoimmune disease, and prevention of certain types of cancers. Studies also suggest that, with decreased sun exposure due to concern for skin cancer risk, much of the world's population is becoming increasingly deficient in vitamin D. Our hypothesis was that vitamin D deficiency exists, and can be detected, even in sunny climates such as the state ofHawaii. To test this hypothesis, eighty-six cord blood samples were collected in the process of routine clinical testing. These samples were tested for 25-hydroxy vitamin D via liquid chromatography mass spectroscopy. Percent deficiency (<20ng/mL) and insufficiency (20-31.9ng/mL) were determined by statistical analysis. Forty-six percent (n=37) of cord blood samples tested were deficient in vitamin D; 47 percent (n=38) of samples had insufficient 25-OH vitamin D. Only 7 percent (n=6) of samples showed vitamin D concentrations at the recommended levels.

A vast majority of military dependents in Hawai'i have less than optimal vitamin D levels at birth. Further investigation of vitamin D supplementation during pregnancy is required to optimize vitamin D status at birth. We conclude that a vast majority of military dependents in Hawai'i have less than optimal vitamin D levels at birth supporting the recommendation for supplementation in this population.

Last edited by R.B.; 10-10-2013 at 03:22 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote