Thread: Ugg
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #17
Chelee

Re: Ugg

Rich, I feel the exact same way you do on this subject. I think far too many of these onc's/doctors are threatened by our knowledge. Sometimes I feel like they think we are challeging them when we aren't. (Also possible they are threatened that you know far too much, which means if they drop the ball with your Mother...you will be aware of it.) That could be dangerous for them. The patients these doctors seem to like the best are the ones that just listen & do what they are told. There are far too many patients like this...it blows my mind!

When I would go in for chemo I was always shocked at how many of the other women knew so little about their cancer, & didn't want to know. I have had so many of them tell me its easier to just let the doctor deal with all that. They said they didn't want to know. (Say what!) I can't undertand that?! So when doctors run across those of us that do alot of research and ask questions...that means we will suck up too much of their time...and far to many of them want no part of that. (Not all doctors are like this thank goodness...but far too many are!) Quite frankly I'm fed up with my 3 to 6 minute appts! I'm serious...I time them. That should be illegal.

It todays world doctors are to see as many patients per day as possible. (And they can't do that if they stop to have an intelligent conversation with the patient or caregiver.) That would throw off their entire day...so we suffer for it. It's so much easier to just ignore you. (Personally this happens to me all the time and I'm fed up with it.) Only my primary doc of 30 yrs finds time for me.

I've even read in my onc's notes that the patient brought in a list of questions AGAIN. Or patient on internet again. (SO WHAT!!!) She NEVER answers anything I ask...so what's the difference.
(Side note...even though they want to ignore you...I am so glad you stick around on this board. I read just about everything you post...you are a very vauable member here and I so hope you don't disappear any time soon.) I think many of us depend on you.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote