View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #13
Sandra in GA

Re: Tykerb/ herception in stage 3a locally advanced patients

Hi Joletta,
I thought I would chime in since I was diagnosed stage III in July '08 and was lucky enough to get into a phase II trial looking at the cardiac safety and tolerability of Herceptin and lapatiib (Tykerb) in an adjuvant setting. As you can see below, I had surgery then A/C followed with Taxol,Herceptin, and Tykerb. I also had radiation. This trial is closed because these results let them go forward with the ALTTO trial which is a phase III. My understanding is that, based on the results on this trial, Tykerb will be approved for early stage BC. As you know it is already approved for late stage.

Marcia mentioned the ALTTO trial and that is the one you could try for. It is a world-wide trial that is enrolling a great number of patients. Dr. Edith Perez and another dr from Denmark and heading it up. The trial I was in was one of Dr. Perez's. She is at Mayo in Jacksonville FL where I have been going for treatment. As I understand patients are randomized into four arms. One gets only Herceptin, one only Tykerb, one together as I did, and one where the Herceptin and Tykerb and give in tandem - one then the other. I guess you would have a 50/50 chance of getting both drugs. Nobody gets just placebos. There are some people posting who are in this trial. I am sure if you did a search you could fine them.

Good luck. Being stage III is scary. I am praying you can find a way you get the Tykerb along with the Herceptin. Herceptin is such a proven drug for us HER2ers, that I would not want to not get it. As for the side effects, they are doable. When I finished the 13 weeks with Taxol added to the mix, it became much better. Even the 5 weeks of radiation wasn't bad with Herceptin and Tykerb. Like My2boys said, you just have to find what foods you have to aviod and for me it was also what drugs to take in what quanity. I had to avoid dairy, fresh fruits and veggies, and take 2 Imodium along with 1 Lomotil at the first stomach roar. But, I certainly would not hesitate taking them together again if the need arises. NED and lovin' it!!!!

Lots of hugs,
Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote