Thread: Eyes
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
Pat94

Re: Eyes

Hi. I have had dry eyes since Lasik surgery over 15 years ago. I take Restasis for it which was all I needed until chemo. It is prescription so you will need to see a Dr. In fall of 14 I had chemo. First my vision was damaged - now I have to wear glasses to drive which I hadn't had to do since the Lasik. Then I developed pink eye - conjunctivitis. After the normal ointment it returned a few days later. Same thing. After it came back for the 3rd time the chemo Dr. realized it was chemo damage to my tear ducts. Turns out it was Blepharitis. I was referred to the cancer center's ophthalmologist & I am still being treated for it &/or dry eyes caused by damage from the chemo. In addition to Restasis I was switched from over the counter artificial tears to ones made from my own blood - serum eye drops. If I have taken all the doses I am allowed & am still up I have the OTC non-preservative drops as the fall back. Since I use the 1st 2 medicines 8 times a day I usually don't need the OTC ones. The ophthalmologist also put pugs in both eyes to prevent the tears from washing away so quickly. It has been pretty awful for me but they are improving. I don't have as much photosensitivity and my eyes aren't wretchedly painful all the time they are open. They are still uncomfortable and I can't read for pleasure but I can see well enough to work (everything I read or write I blow up to a large font) and I can drive myself there and back. I still see an ophthalmologist monthly and have to face cataract surgery much sooner than I would have. My remaining cataract became much worse than it was before chemo. I pray this isn't a chemo side effect that never goes away but I will admit it has been the pits for me. Good luck to you. Start with the Restasis and go from there as needed.
Pat94 is offline   Reply With Quote