View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 11:03 AM   #16
Merridith

Wow Kat:

I've been reading your posting string. You are having quite a bad time of it. I can't believe that your husband would refuse to take you to a restaurant or out to a ball game with him.....Especially when that is the type of thing that would be good for you. That's nasty.

It also sounds like you are the chief cook and bottle washer. Are you in the position to temporarily hire help? That might assist you. Even some 13-14 year old kid looking for baby-sitting equivalent money might be willing to drop by and do things for you like dishes, washroom & ironing after school.

I also had TERRIBLE chemo brain. It was so bad that at one point after I loaded my groceries into the car after shopping at a store that I had shopped at for years, I actually couldn't figure out where to drive to get home.

I also did the calendar, post-it note thing. I kept a notebook beside the phone and jotted quick notes on who phoned, when, and a synopsis of the conversation while we were talking so that I could track the conversation later. I didn't want to keep repeating myself like Granny!

The best method for coping I found was to keep a daily diary - not one to talk about what I felt, but a work journal that recorded who I spoke to, decisions, appointments etc. It was ONE central location for everything. Someone asked me out? I checked the journal. Should we buy the VCR? I checked the journal for a notation. Going somewhere? After the decision to go somewhere had been made, over the next few hours I would make a list of things to do IN the journal.Then when it came time, I would systematically do each thing on the list, ticking as I went. I refused to be responsible for things like hotel keys or anything that required tracking. I actually would state that I had chemo-brain and wouldn't be responsible for any outcome.

And to answer your worst fears......yes it does go away. After you stop chemo, you'll notice a significant improvement after 3-4 months. But the full effects take at least a year (if not more) to fade completely.

Take care!
Merridith
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote