Thread: IBC Conference
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
daughterdenise

New here-with questions about Navelbine

Hi there!
I'm Denise-I'm a 30 year old daughter of the most amazing woman on earth. Her name is Karen, she's 56, and she has IBC. Diagnosed in April 2005, she's been treated with Adriamycin, Taxol, Cytoxin, and Herceptin, as well radiation and a right side mastectomy all in the last 18 months! I've been her primary care taker, and she moved in with me when the chemo took it's toll. We are Tennesseans and she is receiving great care through Vanderbilt Hospital. She was supposed to complete Herceptin treatments in early September and we were looking forward to putting all of this behind us. Because we were so close to being done with all of her treatments, and all looked well--she encouraged me to go back to school to get my masters--something I put on hold when she was diagnosed. So I moved to Boston at the beginning of last month to finish school. But just a few weeks ago, a couple of suspicious looking spots appeared across her chest, and they were biopsied. The cancer has metastisized. As you can imagine, we are so disappointed. She is scheduled to begin Navelbine on Monday. Can any of you tell me what to expect as far as side-effects go, for Navelbine? Is it as bad as Adriamycin and Taxol? I've been thinking about quitting my program to move back home to take care of her. When I asked her if she wanted me to come home, she said "no," and the only thing that keeps her going is knowing that I'm here chasing my dreams. But my heart is heavy being so far away from her as she starts this new treatment schedule. I'm just wondering how bad it's going to be and practically, how much care will she need on Navelbine?
Thanks for reading our story, and anything you can tell me about Navelbine would be really helpful. Blessings to you all of good health and peace!
daughterdenise is offline   Reply With Quote