View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #10
BonnieR

Re: 8yrs later I am gearing up for double Mastectomy

Tina, one thing that struck me about your post was your feeling "how did I let this happen to me?" If I read it correctly. I identified with you because after I had part of my lung removed after a misdiagnosis of Cancer, I spent an inordinate amount if time berating myself for letting this get by me. For not handling it differently (although I don't know how I coukd have prevented a pathologist's error!). I felt it had gotten out of my control. I cried a lot. In retrospect I realize my reaction was largely driven by the narcotics I was on and by my sense of vulnerability We try so hard during this cancer experience to do the right thing and make fact based decisions. Then everything goes sideways!
I don't know how to help you make your next decisions. I can say that I opted to not have any reconstruction and have never regretted that decision. I am older than you and that may have been a factor. I just knew I didn't want anymore surgery or procedures I'm very comfortable I don't even use heavy prosthesis anymore but prefer slightly padded bras like Coobie
I wish you the best in figuring out your path. Stay open to "signs" from others. Keep the faithBonnie

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote