Thread: melanoma?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Gerri

Hi Les,

In 1993 I was diagnosed with melanoma on my arm - Clark's level III and Breslow thickness 1.7 mm. I had additional surgery with a 2 cm clearance from the original biopsy excision just to make sure the margins were clear. My surgeon did not feel it was necessary to do a biopsy of my nodes. I am happy to report that I have had no further problems. I have however had all three types of skin cancers removed through the years so I try to keep an eye out for any changes in my skin or numerous moles.

A good friend of mine (also a bc survivor) had a melanoma removed from her face several years prior to her bc dx. She had a plastic surgeon do the surgery (it was quite extensive) and he did a wonderful job. You would never know she had surgery done on her face. She has not had any additional problems related to the melanoma. I have always wondered if there was a connection between bc and melanoma. I tested negative for BRCA 1 & 2.

Good luck with all of this. I know it is pretty scary but I hope I have helped in some small way.

All my best,
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote