View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
bevilj

Re: Herceptin & Tykerb Together

Hi Amy,

I am in the US and on the Tykerb / Herceptin (and Zometa) combo - although not part of a trial. I am also prescribed Xeloda but currently do not take it. My insurance would not approve Tykerb without Xeloda so my onc continues to prescribe it for me. I told him that since it stopped working for me months ago, and the combo of the Xeloda and Tykerb was too much for me, I made the decision to eliminate the old and continue the new. He acknowledged my decision but has to continue to prescribe. I have promised to go back to Xeloda, without argument, if I need to. So far my treatment, sans Xeloda, is working for me as my tumor markers are in normal ranges and my energy level is rebounding.

Wishing you well with your situation ~ Jen
10/09 - Started Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin, Zometa. Hospitalized with Tetany.
1/10 - Finished Taxotere, Carbo, continued Herceptin, Zometa. PET/CT - improvement.
2-3/10 - Rads (25 rounds).
8/10 – inflammation vs. malignancy?
1/11 – progression. started Xeloda.
9/11 – progression. pancreatitis or tumor? Chest ‘rash’ appeared.
10/11 – confirmed pancreatitis. Halted Xeloda.
11/11 – skin mets confirmed.
12/11 - started Tykerb, back on Xeloda.
1/12 – cut Xeloda dose in ½. skin mets fading!
4/12 - no more Xeloda. skin mets resolved.
8/12 - brain mets found.
9/12 - gamma knife and fractionated brain radiation.
1/13 - progression throughout body. brain mets shrunk/resolved. no more Tykerb.
2/13 - starting T-DM1 trial.
bevilj is offline   Reply With Quote