View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
donocco

Re: Resveratrol--interpret this article?

VDC

Ill mention Berberine. This has antidiabetic and and anticancer action. There is a phenomenon called epithelial-to mesenchymal transition that is important in metastasis. I believe this is a change in cell shape that causes cancer cells to be more motile and able to metastasize. Berberine seems to inhibit this.

Look up Cimetidine brand name Tagamet. It is now (for years) an over the counter histamine 2 blocker antacid. Tagamet intereferes with the production of
E-Selectin, a protein that forms on the endothelial cells that line the small blood vessels. This protein attaches to c protein found on many cancer cells called I believe Lewis Sialyl antigen. When the cancer cells hook onto the E Selectin in te small blood vessels it aids metastasis. Cimetidine is only effective against those cancers that produce the sialyl antigen but if the cancer is metastatic one it is a good guess they are doing this. Cimetidine is a drug of relatively low toxicity although it can act as an enzyme inhibitor increasing the serum levels of certain drugs.

The effect of Cimetidine has been dramatic. They did one study with colon cancer patients. This was done decades ago. One half the patients were given 800mg Cimetidine daily I think starting before surgery and continued for one year. They looked at 10 year survival. It was something like 85% for the colon cancer group getting the Cimetidine daily and 49% for those just on sugery plus oral f flurouracil. The cimetidine patients also got the daily 5-FU so the survival was unlikely to be due to the Cimetidine alone. Im sure you will find this info on google or pub-med. This was colon cancer so you cant say this applies to other cancers. But the E Selectinvs Siallyl antigen thing seems to be general and not cancer specific. See what you find

Paul

PS Other Histamine 2 antagonists such as Zantac (Ranitidine) and the others dont seem to have this anti E Selectin effect. Common sense would say they would. Pharmacology isnt common sense many times.
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote