View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
Debra

Re: How many of you worked in professions where you were exposed to radiation I wonde

I have worked as an x-ray technologist since 1990. I was diagnosed in 2005 but have been teaching in the field since 2000 so not "in" exposure areas as much from 2000-2005. I often wondered about my bc and the exposure I received. I did a lot of fluoroscopy (upper GI's etc) so was often in the room with patient during exposure; wearing a lead apron but back then, those aprons were not checked as often. I also have a son that had testicular cancer diagnosed at the age of 1; (20 yrs ago). Did a lot of fluoroscopy the weeks prior to finding out I was pregnant. Again, wore all the protective apparal but still wonder. It is a very safe profession if we use good "radiation hygiene" and have good protective apparal. Now days, I doubt if the occupational exposure would be a contributing factor for those of us following the proper protocol; but some of us old-timers....makes us wonder!

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote