View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 05:13 AM   #17
TiffanyS

Re: In Praise of Perjeta

I’m glad to hear such positive results from Perjeta. I was supposed to start TDM-1 yesterday, as my breast cancer has spread to my lungs, after having surgery, chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and radiation, however, my oncologist wants me to take Perjeta first, because if it doesn’t work, I can still take the TDM-1 at a later day, however, if I take the TDM-1 first, and it doesn’t work, I cannot take the Perjeta later. So, I will now be taking Perjeta with my Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, along with Taxol for 8 to 16 treatments. The good news is, I will be given a very minimal amount of the Taxol, so I will have very little, if any, side-effects. The bad news is, my hair might thin out, just as it was getting long enough to not have to wear a wig anymore! Oh well, as long as it works, that’s all I care about. My oncologist advised that the Perjeta is a very effective drug that will attack all of the cancer cells in my body, and that she’s seen good results with this drug in the past, so let’s hope it works for me. She also advised that I shouldn’t experience any side-effects from this drug.
My oncologist also advised that she’s going to a conference in Copenhagen in a few weeks, and she’s going to discuss my case with other oncologists, and see if she can find a clinical study for me. One study she mentioned is the Hermione trial, however, she’s going to see if there are any new ones. I asked her about immunotherapy, which helped former president Jimmy Carter which his advanced Melanoma, but she advised that there is no immunotherapy for HER 2 Positive patients yet. In the meantime, I’m just hoping the Perjeta works, as my first round of chemo didn’t!
TiffanyS is offline   Reply With Quote