Thread: cough
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
pffida

My herceptin cough was caused by herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy. Don't ignore the cough, especially if its disruptive (trying to sit through business meetings) or it keeps you or your significant other awake at night.

As soon as I mentioned it to my doctor, they sent me to a cardiologist. The cardiologist and my pcp were debating whether it was caused by my blood pressure medicine. I had a whole series of cardiac tests and other than the cardiomyopathy, there were no other heart problems. So, we stopped herceptin for 5 weeks. There was relief from the cough within a week.

After the herceptin rest, I started up again, only with weekly treatments instead of every 3 weeks. The onc has had success with this, and I was no exception. No more coughing and at the end of treatment, last May, I had another echocardiogram and all was well.
ER/PR-, HER2+++
  • 4 rounds AC - every 3 weeks
  • 3 rounds Taxol + Herceptin - every 3 weeks (developed allergy to Taxol so stopped treatment)
  • Weekly Herceptin after Herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy from treatments every 3 weeks
pffida is offline   Reply With Quote