View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Barbara H.

Helping a parent

Hi Kim,
I have not taken this combination so I don't check here that frequently. However, I also have older parents with health issues and can relate to what you are going through. It appears as if your mother may be somewhat depressed or down from what she is going through. She may feel others are telling her what to do, controlling her life and she does not want to give up that control. The mention of hospice seemed like the end to her. My parents are in their eighties and refuse to get cleaning help. They feel much more in control doing things for themselves.

This has nothing to do with you and the care you have been trying to do for your mother. I would suggest that you try to get her into a support group or get some support from a social worker on the staff. If she is unwilling to speak to someone or attend a group, it still might be helpful for you. This disease is also very difficult for care givers, and it might help you to find support for yourself. You are not alone with these issues.

Good luck and best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote