View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
'lizbeth

Re: To be reported at San Antonio,

Rolepaul,

For the sake of future patients I seriously hope that multi-variate and side by side testing of drugs in randomized trials become obsolete.

Think about this - with the current knowledge in the research community about genomics, and the functional testing available from Drs Nagourney, Wiesenthal and others - we can leave this antiquated system of drug approval behind.

If Nina would have been able to have her tumor genetically & functionally analyzed - you would have known she was receiving the most effective drugs available for her cancer. Her recurrence could have been stopped or delayed significantly.

The research community is waking up and already doing 2nd biopsies after administering treatment - to see the effect of the treatment. Instead of the wait and see & let the cancer get resistant to treatment strategy that has been so popular in the medical community.

Let us use genomics for those who do not have tumor samples that can not be functionally profiled.

We cannot cure cancer until we accept that each individual should be treated for their own unique cancer. Not grouped into large, randomized trials and forced to take toxic treatments that are unnecessary medically.

Even more important we must push to separate those who do not need treatment from chemotherapy, from those who can benefit from a combination of targeted therapies, from those who only need surgical intervention . . . etc.

As far as the IT Herceptin, You should never give up on this. . The stage IV patient population desperately needs a successful treatment for CNS mets. It is a critical area that could save many, many wonderful lives if a treatment such as IT Herceptin is approved.

I did see a post from Lani recently, but have not followed IT Herceptin as closely. After I saw our dear NEDenise lose her life to brain mets, I don't have the heart to follow the latest developments in this area for a while.

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 12-17-2013 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: clarify
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote