Thread: new to this
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
juanita

new to this

I am 42 years old, married with four kids 22, 21, 20 and 16. I was diagnosed with breast cancer September 2004. Reading some of your stories I am very blessed to be where I am at now. I found my lump myself because I'd never had a mammogram done. It was a large lump and really freaked me out. I saw my doctor, then was sent immediately for mammogram and ultrasound. Then a day later had core biopsy. Two days later I got the news and the next day was seeing a surgeon. That was the Friday before Labor Day and my surgery was scheduled for the following Tuesday. My tumor was actually only 1 cm, the rest was scar tissue my body had built up around it. I'm stage 1, grade 3, er-, pr-, her2+ and no lymph node involvement. Only 1/2 of my 1 cm was invasive. I did 2 rounds of tac with my first onc, and was very violently ill. I decided enough was enough and I hated that doctor anyway, but didn't know I had a choice becuase that was who my family doctor wanted me to see because of the same network, so I stopped chemo and went to radiation. After 33 treatments I went back for checkups with my radiation onc and surgeon. My surgeon recommended another onc, who I went to see in February 2005. He convinced me that I really did need the chemo and I started cmf that visit. They are very great at this onc's office and I am very glad that I switched. I finished my cmf in June and started herceptin. So far I've done really good on it. My muga scan #'s from before the tac treatments to when I started herceptin actually got better. We'll see how they are with herceptin. I have my next muga next week. The hardest part of all of this is the fatigue. If they tell you to rest you should do it. I didn't because I didn't want to be "sick" and the fatigue caught up with me to where i was completely exhausted. I work at our local high school though and christmas vacation came just in time. Lots of rest this week.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote