View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Becky

Eric

Sometimes I believe that there is something out there. When I was in treatment, I decided to use Leukine (GM-CSF)

instead of Neulasta (G-CSF). (For the record, the difference between the 2 drugs is that Neulasta (or Neopgen) boosts only the neutrophils and Leukine boosts all components of the white blood cell system including the macrophages (monocytes and lymphocytes) and most importantly the dendrites (that can produce a self-vaccinating effect). Leukine is made by Berlex Labs (I have a point here and I am getting to it). Bizarrely, I met another woman with bc who was also using Leukine. Thinking I might have found another person who was doing the research I was doing, I found out her husband worked for Berlex and was the director of the Leukine division. A week or so later, I found myself (and my husband) at their house for dinner. I had the most interesting discussion of my life with this man. Bottom line – he told me that he felt that sooner or later, everyone would be made aware that G-CSF would be a problem drug (Tom has posted an article that it is a problem) because all WBC components should be boosted together, as they normally exist in the body. He said docs use it because it is one shot vs. 10 shots AND all the oncs really want is neutrophil boost because of the threat of infection. Then the discussion turned to “why cure cancer, it is a huge industry?” Think about it! What would researchers do (both MDs and in University settings). What would the docs do (and not just oncs but radiologists, technicians, surgeons, and pathologists)? Cancer centers, pharma companies, laboratories – its HUGE. There is no incentive whatsoever – none. I am not saying everyone involved is only out for the $ and that no one involved in the cancer "industry" cares, but... nobody wants to lose their job either. Its scary.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote