View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Nora!

I'm stage 2, no known mets, tumor markers finally going down - at 33 last time, 1 year and counting on herceptin. Not sure how long he will keep me on herceptin and not sure who will pay for it, but it feels right to stay on it for me. My immune system is still getting stronger, I believe. I had that bad e coli virus & shingles this past year which, I assume, indicates that my immune system wasn't strong enough to fight yet. I'm very glad to have the extra time on herceptin. I know that my body is different. I've really begun to lose the upper body fat that I had gained the last 7 - 10 years in my breasts. It may be just weird, but I think that gaining so much weight in my breast and my hair starting to get curly those years ago was a sign something was happening in my genes. My mom's family has some crazy mutating genes!!! My brother died suddenly, my husband had a major heart attack, and my mom was diagnosed with PSP and we moved next door to help care for her for 3 1/2 years. I believe that the stress and my not dealing with it well, began the process. Who am I to know, but everything began to change in me at that time as I look back from this perspective. Anyway, I've gone from a size 5 Amoena to size 4 to almost to size 3 (I'm kinda inbetween - what a deal!) But this last month I began to feel like the "old" me - not all the energy, but the old me! I hope he'll keep me on herceptin for ages and I pray that my insurance will cooperate. I'm afraid to ask at the moment! The CTRC fights all my insurance battles for me; so I'm just appreciating the continuation right now. This was a long answer to your short question, so I guess I just needed to make a long "I'm so very grateful and happy" reply! Best wishes, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote