View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Becky

Re: Tamoxifen, LHRH agonist, AI, oophorectomy??

I too am ER+ but PR neg. The problem with that, in the olden days, is that they did not know that if ER+ but PR neg, something else is going on with the tumor. ER does not get excited (to reproduce the cell) by itself. It likes another playmate (of which PR+ status does). So, if ER is + but PR is negative, who is ER playing with (or what's exciting it)? In our case, it is Her2 receptors. They will excite anything and they also will excite themselves. Hence, resistance due to Her2 positivity. If you were not also Her2 but only ER+, it would be troublesome.

There are also other theories. Some research has been done on the ERPR relationship and when they look at the tumor biochemically most ER+PR+ and ER-PR- tumors look the same but some ER+PR+ tumors actually look like ER-PR- tumors chemically/molecularly. Like they have too many receptors but perhaps they don't work. Vice versa is true too that an ER-PR- could behave as a hormone positive one. They did not take Her2 into account in this study. In this study ER+PR- could be either OR some were totally different (but only a few) and those are categorized as ER+PR-. What does this mean? Well, only if you get the tumor highly analyzed which is only available in a study do you really know and this may be why some tumors are resistant - they are actually behaving as a ER-PR- tumor and not a positive one. I really hope I am making some sense here.

There are also studies that show that blocking ER and Her2 simultaneously is the right way to go.

I will say that being ER+PR- myself, I am still here going on 8 years. I am still on Arimidex alone and did a year with Tamoxifen or Arimidex with Herceptin may have done something good or maybe just the chemo alone did it. I will never know for sure (and I had a node involved). It is a hard decision to make. Like you, I read the studies and got my ovaries removed to use Arimidex (I was 46 at the time). Since you are still on chemo, you have time to ponder, ask questions and come up with a plan you think is right for you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote