View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
'lizbeth

Re: swollen hand and arm due to bug bite

Sarah,

I had a different type of lymphedema, axillary web syndrome. The back up of fluid was contained in the lymph vessels and they popped out in my arm like violin strings. It was painful, but my doctor's arm exercises and feathering did the trick. I went into a prescription exercise program after it resolved and was able to lift significant amounts of weight. I can't tell you how many mishaps I've had with the arm on the side of the mastectomy. Earlier this month sliced open my index finger and needed 3 stitches. I didn't even think about lymphedema until I was being sew up and apologizing because maybe the laceration wasn't bad enough to be at ER. Then I thought about the risk of lymphedema and infection and didn't feel guilty after that. I can't believe a little bug did all this to your poor arm.

I'm glad you are calling the physical therapist. I just didn't want suffering with your arm. I'm right handed too - so I can relate. With my splint and stitches in for a week I couldn't do much either. It is very frustrating, oui?

The acupuncturist sounds like a good idea. I've had some amazing results with healing from an infection in the axilla. It was the most pain I'd ever had and it was resolved in about 15 minutes. My back pain took about 6 visits, but it was chronic pain. So you will likely need more visits.

I hope you find the magic that works for you and it is just a one time flukey event. No more aoutats for you!
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote