Thread: Newbie!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
sarah

Re: Newbie!

Hello,
Sorry you're joining us but this is a great site, great family here.
You have to stop taking most vitamins and supplements during chemo and radiation - check on what's ok. I gave up everything but I think calcium was ok.
Chemo is tough - tiring so plan for it. get food in that you can just heat up and if you like reading, lots of good books and also DVDs. Ginger is good for nausea if you have it. Remember it will end and it's so important.
If they put you on AIs (Tamoxifen or Femara) take it at night, it helps lessen any potential side effects.
try to walk a little every day. some people on chemo gain (I did) and some lose weight.
As tricia said, drink water during your treatment and chat with your fellow travellers, they may have some good tips and it may help pass the time.
you will be too tired to drive yourself home so arrange for someone to take you. Here we have the ability of a taxi (free of charge) taking us and picking us up although my husband did it.
Wtih radiation, you'll see the same group of people for most of your 5 or 6 week sessions and so you'll become good acquaintances during that time. I kept a bottle of Maalox by my bed since radiation caused gerd (burning sensation) and that helped. You can drive to radiation and it's fast. never put cream on the skin before a radiation session and again no vitamins or supplements.
Good luck.
hugs and love
sarah