View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Debbie L.

but wait - read the links

It's not as simple as "sugar feeds cancer". It's more about excess insulin, which results from too much sugar and other simple carbs. And in this regard, simple carbs are like sugar - even if they're not sweet. I've read that if you're going to eat that wonder bread or sugary donut, it might help a little to ingest some protein along with it, to prolong the digestion so it's not all of it at once. But I don't know if that really helps.

There are minor links between diabetes and increased risk of cancer and of recurrence, and this insulin resistance/overproduction in response to massive boluses of simple carbs is probably at least a part of that. Some studies show this, others do not. So it's far from a sure thing, whether you look at it as someone who limits carbs or someone who seizes them (life is short, right?). So I wouldn't get too stressed about it either way.

Having said that, I will admit to being a carb control person, from way before diagnosis, and way before it was in style. Mostly because I feel better when I eat low carb. I have lowered my level of vigilance/rigidity in the last several years, though. Like I said - life is short. Sometimes I need the indulgence more than I need the illusion of control, I guess.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote