Thread: Coconut oil?!
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Carol.hope

Thank you, R.B. I have read most of your posts on the Omega 3:6 ratios and am reading Smart Fats, at your suggestion. Sometimes I understand better than other times, as my brain feels overloaded quite a bit these days. It does seem like this is at the root of so many health issues, including cancer.

I have been using only olive oil, after reading so many articles on its benefits. I fry hardly anything, but a use small amount for eggs, to keep them from sticking to the cast iron pan (no Teflon!). I thought coconut oil was bad (because it's saturated). But I do have a nagging pre-chemo memory that heat changes everything. So maybe I should cook with coconut oil?! Also, I lost weight through chemo and need to gain a few pounds, so that's not a problem for me, which it might be for others who gained weight on chemo (isn't that interesting, that some gain and some lose?).

I do take a spoonful of Carlson's Cod Liver Oil every day. It's so hard to know what's enough, what's best, what's healthiest. I get guidance from my Naturopath, and I share articles with her, too. Who could keep up with it all? The MDs don't even acknowledge this stuff, until there's a double-blind study. I try to use what I can from many approaches/disciplines.

Thanks for your efforts to educate us. You do remind us lots that you're not an expert, but since you research this area, you are well-informed and help the rest of us (when we can understand it!).
- Carol

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote