View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #23
Laurel

Re: Two beloved voices silenced

Amy,

I too wonder if the whole "pink" movement does not offer up the impression that all breast cancer is these days is a bit of radiation following a not very disfiguring lumpectomy, and a few years of Tamoxifen and off we all go for a long, albeit modestly interrupted by B.C., life. Of course, we here on Her2Support know that is NOT the case, although I am sure we all fervently wish it was. I do appreciate the effort to "speak" through all the pink to make the general public more aware of B.C. Years ago when my Aunt Olive died of this evil disease in 1973 breast cancer was still discussed in low voices if at all.

Goodness, when you think about the social stigma of cancer in general and especially reproductive cancers we have come a long way in acknowledging their existence. There is willingness to discuss prostate cancer and its aftermath, not much mind you, but more than previously. We still whisper about the loss of sexual function that is common with prostate cancer. Actually, come to think of it, even now we only elude to the loss of sexual function that is associated with the treatment of hormone positive B.C.

I will say that Rich is being honest when he asks about support for the treatment of all cancers. Surprisingly so many are interrelated. Herceptin has been used with other cancers that are Her2 positive and has spawned a whole generation of new monoclonal research into beating cancer by not slashing and burning. Conversely, more research is going into other methods, such as nano delivery systems, etc., to beat back the many headed hydra that is cancer.

I have a dear friend who developed a small area on the underside of his 2nd toe. He showed it to his physician at his annual physical. His G.P. shrugged it off as nothing to be concerned about. Two years later he showed it again to another physician in the practice at his annual and this physician was deeply concerned stating he was certain it was malignant melanoma. Sadly, that M.D. was correct. Now my friend has metastatic melanoma which some of you may know is unbelievably deadly. I urged him to get into a trial and he is now down at NCI undergoing a tough, tough treatment with a 30% effective rate which sounds abysmal but in fact is huge in the war against melanoma. At present his prognosis is still very bleak.

We in the cancer community are just that, a community. We belong arm in arm yoked by our mutual accursed state having been called to personally battle this scourge. To all the many warriors pink or not, I am so grateful to their dedication and commitment to this war.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote