View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #22
Rich66

Re: Two beloved voices silenced

Wow,
Sorry you took it that way. If you're cool with a competition between cancers, so be it. Maybe having dealt with my Dad's prostate cancer simultaneously with my mom's breast cancer, shortly after my siter-in-law's Ovarian cancer...I have my own personal perspective. Who's "turn" is it? Hell..every cancer patient's turn.
I happen to think the most benefit for all will happen when the focus is on commonality between cancers and ways to use that against cancer. As an a example, your donations to AIDS research years ago may have indirectly helped breast cancer. Viracept, an early AIDS drug has been shown to have effect against breast cancer cells as well as aiding radiation in pancreatic cancers. Yet, I don't hear much more about it despite an antiviral approach with available and relatively inexpensive meds would be a breakthrough and potentially suggest how it starts. Personally, I get discouraged, not encouraged, when focus goes to counting the myriad diseases within a disease. That strikes me as great for cell labs..but not so great for patients. The research dollars are limited..best to use what's there in a way that benefits the most cancer patients.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote