View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
DianneS

Re: Kidney issues -anyone else?

Hi all,

My GFR last week was 50. I started out at 62...so not optimal to begin with. No one discussed my kidney function or lack thereof until AFTER chemo. I am ticked off about that. In 2003 the GFR went from normal 80's to the 60's and no one told me. I feel ok, maybe tired sometimes but could be the herceptin.

Thursday I am having what is called a blood GFR where I will be monitored for 3-4 hours. I believe they will use a dye/radioactive tracer to see what my kidneys are doing. I saw my nephrologist Sept. 2 and am happy to be getting this test within the month....he said my 24 hour urine looked 'ok' whatever that means.

Here is the interesting part about herceptin that I'm finding out: I talked to my pharmacist who has nothing to gain by telling me what herceptin can do. He looked it up and showed me where about 1% of women will have kidney problems with herceptin. My onc and the cancer agency deny this, saying it's the heart problems first that cause the kidney problems. But my echocardiograms have consistently been at 70% which is excellent. I am told by the onc that herceptin excretes thru the liver, not the kidneys. However, I don't pee out of my liver, so the stuff must go through my kidneys at some point (duh ) and that is what could be causing the problem.

I will let you know what I find out. I doubt I'll learn anything Thursday. This is so stressful after everything else I've been through! When does the round of doctors stop, anyway?

Hanging by a thread,
Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote